I haven’t ever wondered why we call certain events “Cinderella Stories” but I have always been curious as to why this movie is called “Cinderella Man”. After watching the movie I have come to conclude that the meaning behind the title is because the story is so miraculous. James Braddock came from being a washed up boxer struggling to get by to winning the championship. No one really believed he could do it and he succeeded. It was a miracle. I loved the story, it is my favorite movie we have watched so far. It was upsetting and happy at the same time and thats what made the movie so exciting. I did like James Braddock, he overcame many obstacles to achieve his goals. Many people still live in poverty which is a large issue in our country and around the world. The issues are different today because we aren’t in a depression but there are still people who are struggling to get by. Our children will probably face similar issues. Everyone is going to struggle in one way or another.
I would totally steal is my family hadn’t eaten in a week or if my family’s ability to stay together depended on it. I do agree that stealing is bad an unethical, but if I were put in that situation I wouldn’t think twice about it.
I think that it was insensitive of the filmmaker to alter the like of Max Baer so much but I also think it added a lot to the movie. You need a villain to create conflict and without a villain, a movie can be lacking certain aspects. I don’t think it really takes away from the story of James Braddock. It does alter a few little things but if anything, it took away from Max Baer which is unfair. They should at least added extra information in the end to show who he really was.
When Braddock went into Madison Square Garden to beg, I wanted to cry. It was such an emotional and powerful scene to watch. It takes a lot of guts to go up to certain people and ask them for help. James Braddock had a lot of pride and it must have taken a tremendous amount of curious for him to ask. I think that it shows he isn’t afraid to ask for help. He was in a time where he couldn’t do anything to save himself and his family and he did what he could think of to help himself. I think it is admirable. Everyone was struggling but many were too scared to ask for help. Braddock was in a tough situation and the extra money helped him a lot. He had the courage to go up to all of these men who are much wealthier than he was and ask for money. That’s inspiring. In the story of Cinderella, she was a poor washed up girl and everyone treated her like she was nothing. Similar to James Braddock, he was a poor man trying to get by and help his family but everyone looked down upon him. Like Cinderella, he did everything in his power to over come the obstacles that have been holding in back.
Hi Sydney. You make very good points, but one thing that I do disagree with you about is that you say that you would steal. Personally, I couldn't bring myself to do that because I'd find it difficult to be certain that the person I'm stealing from is in any better of a position than I am. I couldn't put someone else at a disadvantage purely for my family and me and I would work to find a different way to do it.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a powerful scene as you have so eloquently described. I have great admiration for those who put others before themselves and something I try very hard to emulate in my own life. Nice post!
ReplyDelete