Monday, February 3, 2014

Glory



My favorite part of the movie was the growing bond between Shaw and the other men.  It was very heartwarming to watch and it seemed very genuine.  I disliked the amount of loss and devastation in the movie.  It’s understandable though because the movie is suppose to portray real life events and I think it did a good job at doing so.  The movie made me proud to see how far our country has come and the obstacles we have overcome since.  My favorite character was Denzel Washington’s character.  I feel like he played his part very well and made a lasting impression on me.  It was extremely emotional to see his character progress throughout the movie.  I have learned that there will always be fighting in one way or another but there will always be success as well and as long as we get good results from the bad, then I think we’re doing a decent job.  I think that others would really enjoy this film because it does relate to world events today.  We are still experiencing racism and discrimination and taking a look on the past will help us to better understand the present.  Themes of this movie, in my opinion is freedom, friendship, and growth.

People are willing to die for their country because they have so much faith in what our country, as a whole, can do.  One person can do big things and the more people step up, bigger and better things can result.  Our country gives us many opportunities that others don’t and most people value that a lot.  I think that the men of the 54th Massachusetts are heros as well as Shaw.  They risked their lives to better our country and without them, our country would be much different.  

The significance of the story is that the 54th is the first all black group of men who fought in a war.  The leadership of the 54th was very important as well because it showed that people were starting to look at these men as equals and friends rather than beneath them.

4 comments:

  1. After reading this critique of the movie I found it to be very insightful and I would have to agree with you because Denzel Washington did do a fantastic job in this movie. His character truly helped further the plot and he became a devoted leader for others to look up to. This review of Glory reminded me of the actors that I really enjoyed watching so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several things in common with your review of the movie Glory. To start, we both have similar themes relating to the sense of freedom and growth throughout the movie. I also found Denzel Washington to be my favorite character in the movie and found that his role changed as he got more involved in the war itself. I also believe that people are willing to fight for their country and freedom. The me of the 54th Massachusetts did just that and will be remembered as heroes.

    Oh and nice jellybeans

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sydney and how hard it was to watch the fighting and deaths that happened in the movie, and how the movie did an accurate job at portraying the events with the Massechusetts Infantry. Also, the issues of racism do exist today, and I agree with how Sydney notices that because a lot of Americans don't. I didn't find Denzel Washington to be my favorite character though, I liked the character of Shaw better. But I can see how some people might like his character more because of his personal growth and freedom throughout the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything you're saying. I love the bonds that start to happen between Colonel Shaw and his men as well. Also, Denzel Washington portrayed a african american soldier perfectly throughout the duration of the film. I think your comment "I have learned that there will always be fighting in one way or another but there will always be success as well and as long as we get good results from the bad, then I think we’re doing a decent job." is a great way to put it on civil war because it was the bloodiest battle in our nations history.

    ReplyDelete